Water Heater Repair
Indianapolis Water Heater Repair
Are you unsure if you need to repair your water heater? Waiting too long to repair it could lead to water damage to your home.
It can be tricky to find out whether you need to repair it or replace it. As a general rule of thumb, consider replacing your unit if it’s between 6 to 12 (or more) years old. In some cases, water heaters that are well over that age group work just fine – but make sure you book regular maintenance checks to avoid surprise breakdowns.
B&W is your one-stop-shop for water heater repair or water heater installation. Here is some more information about common signs that mean your home’s Indianapolis water heater may have a problem.
Common Water Heater Problems
Water heaters work all day long to provide you with heated water whenever you need it. With such heavy use, these units can be expected to malfunction sometimes, especially when they’re around a decade old.
Here are some common water heater issues:
- Rust-colored water: This means that the sacrificial anode rod failed, causing the tank to start rusting. It can also mean that your glass-lined heater tank is corroding, which can also cause ruptures or leaks.
- Not enough or no hot water: If there’s not enough hot water, that could be caused by thermostat failure, an obstructed flue or vent, or a faulty dip tube. If there’s no hot water, it might be that the pilot light is off and the thermocouple feature is preventing gas delivery.
- Water takes longer to heat: This could be due to the diameter of the piping or the flow rate of the water.
- Foul-smelling water: Water heater tanks contain sediment and bacteria. As the bacteria begin to die, they release hydrogen gases that pass through your plumbing and spread a foul odor throughout your home.
- Noises from the tank: This means that the heating components of the tank have a lot of scale buildup.
- Leaks: This might be due to faulty plumbing connections, a leaking heating element gasket, excessive corrosion in the storage tank, or a faulty T&P valve.
- Low hot water pressure: Hard-water buildup in your pipes can block water flow into and out of your heater.
- Mineral buildup and corrosion: If too much sediment builds up at the bottom of your hot water heater, it can cover the heating element and cause it to overheat and burn out.
Should I Repair or Replace My Water Heater?
Water heaters usually last between 10 and 15 years. But how do you know if your unit is due for a full-on replacement versus a minor repair? Choose a repair if the cost of the repair is less than 50% of the cost of a replacement.
Even if your hot water heater is past the age group mentioned above, it still may be in decent condition. Unless the tank is starting to deteriorate, you may be able to repair it. As always, consult a B&W professional so we can help you accurately assess the damage in your Indianapolis home.
Signs You Need a New Water Heater:
- Your unit is near or beyond its expected service life
- If your water supply is rust colored
- Your tank is leaking
Learn More About B&W’s Service Plan
If you need a heater repair or replacement company in Indianapolis, contact B&W today. Our team of experts can handle any water heater emergencies.
- Our service plan includes:
- Fall maintenance heating system check/tune-up
- Spring maintenance cooling system check/tune-up
- 10% discount on plumbing, heating, and cooling repairs
- Preferred scheduling
- No overtime fees, nights or weekends
If you think your heater is damaged, call us today to book an appointment. We’ll quickly assess the problem and come up with a restoration plan. We are committed to conducting work with complete transparency so you can feel confident in our services.
Contact B&W for Water Heater Repair Services in Indianapolis and Central Indiana
B&W is one of the leading water heater repair and water heater installation companies in Indianapolis. We service and install both tankless water heaters and traditional tank models. We are a full-service, family-owned company that promises each customer an outstanding service experience.
Our clients include families that have worked with us for 60+ years. Give us a call if you want to know more about the water heater services in Indianapolis we offer or book an appointment.
We’ll Work with You to Make Your Project a Reality.
At B&W Plumbing, Heating, Cooling, and Drains, we know what it takes to raise a family. We’re a family business. That’s why we’ll work with you, Ally Lending, and Wells Fargo, whom we’ve developed relationships with to provide payment options that can help you purchase those bathroom or kitchen updates or that new home comfort system. Special financing is available with approved credit.