The Benefits of Water Filtration and Water Softener Systems
Are you satisfied with the quality of water that runs from your taps? Many different substances can exist in the home’s water supply that can negatively affect the taste and smell of your water. Hard water in the Indianapolis area also contains high levels of magnesium and calcium which can lead to dry skin and spotty dishes, among other issues.
Fortunately, there are ways to improve the quality of water you use for drinking, bathing and cleaning. In our most recent blog, B&W Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Drains explains the benefits – as well as the differences – of water filtration. We’ll explain how water softener systems work and how they can provide healthier water straight from your taps.
What Are Water Filtration and Water Softening Systems?
Water sources can be subject to various types of pollutants from minerals found within the ground to chemicals and nutrients that infiltrate water supplies via runoff. The problems you face with your home’s water may not be the same as a friend who lives across town, but luckily there are different types of home water treatment systems, including water filtration and water softeners that can be installed to address the water quality issues specific to your residence.
Water Filtration Systems
Water filtration solutions pass a home’s water through a type of filter material which traps impurities and removes them from circulation. There are numerous types of water filtration systems. We recommend installing a reverse osmosis system which moves water through a series of filters, or tanks, to remove impurities in the water. Reverse osmosis systems can have 3-5 filters (stages) for the water to pass through. After passing through a pre-filter cartridge and then a carbon filter, pressure then forces the water molecules through a semipermeable membrane. The membrane retains the contaminants on one side, while the pure water passes through to the other side.
Water Softener Systems
As their name suggests, water softener systems soften water by removing excess minerals such as calcium and magnesium that cause the water to be hard. Hard water constitutes several problems throughout your Indianapolis area home that you may or may not have noticed, including dry skin, soap buildup and potential damage to your plumbing system.
Benefits of Water Filtration Systems
Some of the most notable benefits of water filtration systems include:
- Filtering the home’s water supply removes odors and contaminants that can cause water to taste and smell bad. Water filtration systems are recommended when you have an issue with the taste or odor of your tap water.
- Water filtration equipment removes harmful matter from the water supply, including chlorine, chloramines, lead, VOCs (volatile organic compounds), per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances, bacteria, nitrogen, and other contaminants. Consumption of these substances through drinking water can cause bacterial infections, inflammation, immune system impairments, and even be linked to cancer.
- Installing a water filtration system is also good for the environment because if you enjoy the taste of your tap water more, you’ll want to buy less bottled water. This can cut down significantly on plastic waste. You’ll also save money by not having to buy water bottles at the grocery store.
Benefits of Water Softeners from B&W
Water softener systems are common in households across Central Indiana where the water is hard. Some of the benefits of installing a water softener include:
- Softer skin and clean, smooth hair.
- Cleaner and shinier silverware and glassware.
- Reduced soap scum.
- Softer clothes without hard minerals trapped in the fabric.
- Longer lasting water dependent appliances such as water heaters, toilets, faucets, dishwashers and laundry equipment.
- Saving money on monthly energy costs.
Water Filtration and Water Softener Solutions for Indianapolis Homeowners
The benefits of water filtration and water softener systems extend beyond comfort, as these systems work to protect the quality of a home’s water supply and keep harmful substances out. B&W Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Drains offers expert installation for quality water treatment equipment – contact us today to request an estimate for water treatment solutions for your Indianapolis area home.